If you are suffering from chronic pain and have given up all hopes on recovery, then think again. A pain management clinic may help you achieve your dream of a complete recovery from chronic pain. Pain management clinics are health facilities that provide services that aid in the diagnosis and management of chronic pain using multidisciplinary techniques.
The professionals at a pain management clinic:
A team of healthcare professionals like pain management doctors of Dallas who are trained in pain management comprise the staff team of a pain management clinic like the Dallas pain clinics. The team includes:
• Doctors specializing in pain management (Search for pain management doctors in Dallas to find a list of doctors in Dallas specializing in pain management)
• Psychiatrists and psychologists who attend psychological problems like depression accompanying chronic pain
• Physical therapists who aid, advice and train patients to overcome pain
• Specialized therapists like acupuncturists or massage therapists who help alleviate the symptoms of pain.
Strategies adopted by pain management clinics to treat chronic pain:
Depending on your case history, cause and diagnosis of pain and personal needs and preferences, the experts or doctors at the pain management clinic in Dallas will suggest a detailed therapy schedule. The therapy may involve one of more combinations of the following:
1. Administration of Medications:
- Mild Pain Relievers: Administrations of drugs like acetaminophen may be combined with other drugs to bring relief to minor pain symptoms
- NSAID’s: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen are used to treat acute and chronic pain and inflammation.
- Corticosteroids: These drugs may be administered only in severe cases of painful symptoms
- Opioid drugs: These drugs are usually used to treat cancer pains or acute pains but may be occasionally administered to treat chronic pain
- Antidepressants: Chronic pain is often associated with signs of clinical depression which creates havoc in the patient’s life. Antidepressants may help overcome some or all the symptoms of depression.
2. Administration of Injections:
Often pain medications may not be enough to suppress pain. Injections of local anesthetics combined with steroids may be administered to the joints, nerve endings or muscles to alleviate pain.
3. Aquatic therapy:
Whirlpool therapy or hots spas may improve the pain and help patients to get some relief from pain.
4. Electrical stimulation:
Chronic cases of pain could be treated with electrical stimulation therapies where small battery operated devices may be used to electrically stimulate nerve fibres to reduce pain.
5. Acupuncture Therapies:
The ancient Chinese tradition of acupuncture involves the insertion of needles at various pressure points of the body to alleviate pain.
6. Relaxation Techniques:
Pain management clinics like Dallas pain clinics may also conduct yoga or meditation classes to relax the nerves and calm the minds of the patients
7. Psychological Supports:
Almost every pain management clinic has efficient psychologists as part of their team who helps the patient to recover from depression and counsels the patient on ways to manage the pain and reduce stress.
Surgery is often the last resort of pain management. If medications and other non-invasive therapies fail to succeed in alleviating the pain conditions then surgery may be the only option left. However, surgery does not always mean bad news as a successful surgery may also lead to a complete recovery from the painful condition.